Salary: competitive depending upon experience + benefits
Where the job is based: (home-based, working with cloudThing office/customer site visits as required) UK HQ, Seven House, 18 High Street, Longbridge, B31 2UQ
Who we are:
cloudThing solves complicated problems with great digital experiences. We combine Power Platform, DevSecOps, Data Science and Software Engineering to achieve measurable business outcomes for our clients. Headquartered in Birmingham and part of the Kerv Group, the combined Kerv Group is a £35m revenue global organisation, with over 330 employees, working with over 800 sector leading clients, with offices in London, Birmingham, and Bangalore.
cloudThing always selects the best technology fit for a project and therefore expects and encourages all our developers and designers to embrace the latest technologies, frameworks and cloud deployment platforms. We relish the difficult problems and integration challenges and guarantee our developers are never bored.
We are proud to be certified as a Great Place to Work by independent assessors in both the UK and India. We can offer you an inclusive, collaborative atmosphere to develop your skills as part of a global multi-discipline development team with opportunities to be mentored by forward-thinking architects.
Join cloudThing to work closely with household name clients, build your technical prowess and make new friends along the way.
Who we are looking for:
We are actively seeking a consulting Data Scientist; an insights and data mining master with commercial grade machine-learning experience and the ability to make data science accessible for the masses. You’ll need a love for all things data-related; and a full-stack approach to data science including understanding of the implementation of ETL pipelines and data ops.
- Gather and drive requirements from technical and non-technical stakeholders and turning these into hypotheses which can be tested against the data
- Extracting data from a variety of sources including SQL databases, document databases, graph databases, web APIs, etc.
- Analysing and profiling data for quality issues
- Exploration of structured and unstructured datasets based on broad sets of requirements
- Use the PyData stack (Numpy/Scipy, pandas, Scikit-Learn, NLTK/spaCy) for goal focused analysis
- Build models for classification and inference based on statistical comcepts
- Write technical specs and user stories for data engineers to build data-driven and intelligent components for solutions
- Experience of working in a cloud first environment, preferably Azure, awareness of the different constraints and opportunities this presents
- Awareness of statistical modelling methodologies and how to choose the most appropriate strategy
- Data visualisation techniques and presenting results back to a non-technical audience
- Strong T-SQL experience
- Juypter notebooks for data exploration
- PyData stack (Numpy/Scipy, pandas, Scikit-Learn, NLTK/spaCy)
- Azure Data Factory, SSIS or similar data orchestration and ETL frameworks
- Data visualisation frameworks such as PowerBI, Seaborn, plotly
- Understanding of CRM concepts and experience of handling personal information
- Source control appreciation, esp. GIT
- Appreciation of information security standards such as ISO27001, PCI-DSS or Cyber Essentials
- Azure ML, Azure ML studio, MS bot framework, Cognitive Services and other Azure ML offerings to be able to recommend the most appropriate approach for a data science problem
- Awareness of Microsoft Common Data Model and Dataverse
- Other NoSQL DB’s such as Cosmos/Mongo/Redis
- Cloud Data Analysis platforms such as Databricks, Azure Synapse/Data Warehouse Analytics
- Enterprise structured data platforms such as Teradata, Snowflake, Oracle
- Big data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark
- IoT and data streaming technology
- MS certifications (AI-900, AI-100, DP-100)
We’re also looking for people that fit how we work, which is something like;
- happiest working under their own direction, but fully supported when needed
- an obvious attention to detail, we want you to obsess about the little things!
- ability to identify and pick up new persistence technologies quickly
- ability to work effectively with remote teams in India
- ability to work flexibly to deliver on-time to tight timescales
What we can do for you:
We’re a transparent, honest and fiercely equal employer that believes completely in providing the best possible work experience for our cloudThing’ers:
- Real Flexibility – we’re a family first organisation, and if the work gets done, you can work when and wherever you want. A healthy approach for most of our unicorns (that’s this team) seems to be splitting three ways between home, customer sites and the office.
- Awesome Environment – all of our cloudThing’ers will tell you that we foster an easy going environment, are experts at what we do and care deeply about what we work on – that’s in large part because we’re privately owned by those that work day-to-day in the business, and the company was started specifically to find a way for people to take more enjoyment from their work.
- Interesting Work – these days most of our customers are household names and many of our projects have an important impact on the world around us. The kind of things we do regularly include working with not-for-profits to transform how they leverage technology, working with public bodies to shape digital services and working with top tier private entities to bring genuinely new and meaningful products and services to market.
- Great Benefits – all the usual suspects and then some. Some highlights include our choose-your-own tech approach to end-user devices, well stocked cupboards with tasty goodies (we’re a food first company too), excellent professional development support including frequent in-house training for tech. you can’t get trained on anywhere else and private healthcare. Full disclosure; some benefits can only be provided after probation.
- Recognition & Growth – Certified as a Great Place to Work by independent assessors in both the UK and India and we’ve just entered the Sunday Times Tech Track 100, which charts the top 100 fastest growing tech. companies in the country; we know we achieved this directly through the people we choose to work with.
Don’t take our word for it though, check out our impartial Glass Door reviews or our recruitment video featuring, well, us!
We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, individual qualifications and work experience.