Salary: From £40,000 depending upon experience + benefits
Where the job is based: (home-based, working with cloudThing office/customer site visits as required) UK HQ, Seven House, 18 High Street, Longbridge, B31 2UQ
Who we are:
cloudThing solves complicated problems with great digital experiences. We combine Power Platform, DevSecOps, Data Science and Software Engineering to achieve measurable business outcomes for our clients. Headquartered in Birmingham and part of the Kerv Group, the combined Kerv Group is a £35m revenue global organisation, with over 330 employees, working with over 800 sector leading clients, with offices in London, Birmingham, and Bangalore.
cloudThing always selects the best technology fit for a project and therefore expects and encourages all our developers and designers to embrace the latest technologies, frameworks and cloud deployment platforms. We relish the difficult problems and integration challenges and guarantee our developers are never bored.
We are proud to be certified as a Great Place to Work by independent assessors in both the UK and India. We can offer you an inclusive, collaborative atmosphere to develop your skills as part of a global multi-discipline development team with opportunities to be mentored by forward-thinking architects.
Join cloudThing to work closely with household name clients, build your technical prowess and make new friends along the way.
Who we are looking for:
We are actively seeking an enthusiastic and ambitious User Experience (UX) Developer, utterly immersed in the web + mobile ecosystems. The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding of frontend development fundamentals, strong advocacy for UX, accessibility and usability with a keen eye for beautiful but functional design.
Candidates will need to demonstrate experience with;
- Building accessible and performant responsive interfaces across multiple devices and browsers
- Developing and implementing highly responsive user interface components using react concepts and libraries (styled-components, emotion, storybook)
- Generating prototypes and proof of concepts rapidly to shape estimates and accelerate development
- Working closely with project teams to ensure the design and development is aligned with the user experience, including contributing to the development (in code) of those experiences
- Identifying design problems, asking intelligent questions to devise elegant solutions
- Assuring the technical feasibility of UX/UI designs and providing advice on how best to achieve the desired user experience
- Writing quality test-driven code, using modern frameworks and development techniques
- Assisting with the creation of automated tests, and carry out cross-browser/device and accessibility testing
- Sharing your knowledge and experience with your team and with the wider organisation
- NOTE: as is common with this type of role, occasional out of hours and remote location working will be required to support high-priority deadlines
Candidates are expected to have all the following skills.
- Good understanding and knowledge of web technologies, platforms, and services
- Excellent HTML and CSS knowledge, including CSS frameworks and pre-processors like Sass or LESS
- Expert in addressing usability concerns and delivering standard, compliant, and accessible frontends
- Expertise with design focused applications and prototyping tools - for example: Sketch, Figma, and InVision
- Understanding of user centred design principles
- Experienced with using build tools such as Webpack, Yarn, npm
- Using version control to manage source code (git)
- Passion for visual design, with a high level of creativity and sense of aesthetics
- Maintain current knowledge of technology landscape and developments in web development
- Experience working in agile, and/or scrum-based projects and being an active participant – able to influence and inform scrum teams to achieve the very best
- Capable of effective prioritisation of tasks and personal time management
Candidates are expected to have some of the following skills;
- Experience working in agile, and/or scrum-based environments
- Experience in user centred design and design principles
- Some experience of working with the UK Government Design System (GDS), its patterns and practices
We’re also looking for people that fit how we work, which is something like;
- Affable, credible and can communicate effectively with customers and colleagues
- Good team player capable of delivering results in less than perfect circumstances
- Enthusiastic in the pursuit of duties
- Self-starter, comfortable working both independently and as part of a team
- An obvious attention to detail, we want you to obsess about the little things
- Strong emotional intelligence
- Work flexibly to deliver on-time to tight timescales
- Ability to work effectively with remote teams in India
- Lifelong learner; proactively seeking opportunities to broaden and deepen knowledge and skills
What we can do for you:
We’re a transparent, honest and fiercely equal employer that believes completely in providing the best possible work experience for our cloudThing’ers:
- Real Flexibility – we’re a family first organisation, and if the work gets done, you can work when and wherever you want. A healthy approach for most of our unicorns (that’s this team) seems to be splitting three ways between home, customer sites and the office.
- Awesome Environment – all of our cloudThing’ers will tell you that we foster an easy going environment, are experts at what we do and care deeply about what we work on – that’s in large part because we’re privately owned by those that work day-to-day in the business, and the company was started specifically to find a way for people to take more enjoyment from their work.
- Interesting Work – these days most of our customers are household names and many of our projects have an important impact on the world around us. The kind of things we do regularly include working with not-for-profits to transform how they leverage technology, working with public bodies to shape digital services and working with top tier private entities to bring genuinely new and meaningful products and services to market.
- Great Benefits – all the usual suspects and then some. Some highlights include our choose-your-own tech approach to end-user devices, well stocked cupboards with tasty goodies (we’re a food first company too), excellent professional development support including frequent in-house training for tech. you can’t get trained on anywhere else and private healthcare. Full disclosure; some benefits can only be provided after probation.
- Recognition & Growth – Certified as a Great Place to Work by independent assessors in both the UK and India and we’ve just entered the Sunday Times Tech Track 100, which charts the top 100 fastest growing tech. companies in the country; we know we achieved this directly through the people we choose to work with.
Don’t take our word for it though, check out our impartial Glass Door reviews or our recruitment video featuring, well, us!
We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, individual qualifications and work experience.